Monday, December 01, 2008

The Observer Effect

Here is one about my favorite place to visit, the Seattle, Washington, area.

The Observer Effect

By David John Reichen

Intro:

As I sit here at the closing of another chapter of my life, before I am to embark on what I consider the trip of a lifetime, I reflect on the events that have brought me to feel a necessity, no, an overwhelming compulsion, to go on this one and maybe final journey, into the unknown. If you do not further hear from me, do not worry of my demise, for I have gone to a truly finer place than this dry Earth has to offer.

On a Wet Mountain:

It all started on a hot and humid day in July. I was camping in the Olympic Peninsula, in the upper western part of Washington state, in the United States of America. I did this to get way from the constant grid of work. This area is known as a Temperate Rain Forest. Unlike most of the rain forests, which are tropical, this one is more than halfway from the equator to the North Pole. It is raining most, if not all, of the time. Which explains why I was being drenched in rain that falls on Mount Olympus while they were suffering from a massive heatwave and drought a mere hundred miles away. Everything is coated in a thin film of water. All of the plants, trees, bushes, everything gathers this moisture floating or falling through the air, soaking the soil, making it an ideal habitat for amphibious creatures.

After pitching the tent out of my car, along with some other hopefully useful equipment and setting up my camp for the next couple of days, I went to explore my surroundings and fellow campers that had decided to join me in my quest for relief from that horrid and hellishly dry air to the east. It was during this walk that I meet one of the campers that was soon to become a close friend. He was dressed rather curiously. He wore long pants and a turtle necked long sleeve T-shirt and gloves. The only thing of him that was exposed was his head, above the neck. I asked him, “are you comfortable dressed like that?”

“Oh, hello,” he answered. “You bet I am. I am just as comfortable as you are. These clothes act as a water wick and distribute the moisture evenly and allow any excess to be gotten rid of by evaporation or in this case it just drips to the ground.”

I was kind of skeptical of his explanation but could not find anything wrong with it. I still thought that it was strange to be going around fully clothed like that. I had adopted a minimalist approach, bathing trunks, T-shirt and sandal but to each his own.

“Going on a hike?” he asked.

“Yep,” I said, “my campsite is set up and I am off to see if bears really do shit in the woods.”

“Mind if I join you? I have always wonder about that one too,” he said, laughing at the little joke.

I answered, “sure, why not.”


We left the campground and followed one of the trails that meander through the area. After a while, we engaged in small talk and I asked him what he did.

“I’m a biologist studying the newts and frogs that live in the Forrest we are traipsing around in,” he said and pointed to a nearby frog. “These creatures have managed to live here almost unchanged for eons. While others have perished, such as those terrible reptiles, the Dinosaurs. Incredible, isn’t it.

“And what do you do?”

“Oh, I work at a company that is developing a way of sending audio and video data through the telephone system,” I answered. “Right now the video is very choppy since we have to send frames at such a slow rate and the sound is distorted because we have to piggyback it onto the video frames. The telephone companies are working on ways to allow us to speed up the transfer of all of the data that we are trying to push through their wires. When we get both running the right way, it will change the way people communicate.”

We came to a large pool of water and watched the newts climbing around on the nearby foliage. After some moments pause, he gestured grandly, as if he was to begin lecturing a class and said, “behold, these adventurous creatures that can live in the water but still are able to venture onto dry land or on moist soil at least. They develop in water, from egg to the tadpole. When they reached maturity, they grow limbs and are able to crawl about on the submerged bottom of a pool or on land, as long as the gills stay moist and the skin does not get overly dry. Adaption to this new environment went further, in being able to survive on land, they have lungs that are their internal gills and keep them wet by coating the surface with a thin layer of mucus, this evolutionary development paved the way for all future animal life on dry land. We owe our own lungs to these pioneers.

“Did you know that while the Dinosaurs and such perished 65 million years ago, the amphibians just had to go and live in the sea until it was safe again to reemerge after conditions on land became suitable to live on again?

“The most amazing thing is that there are some amphibians that can reproduce on land and not have to seek water for the offspring’s initial development. After the male mates with the female, the fertilized eggs migrate under her skin and develop there. Once the little ones grow big enough, they burst from the enclosing skin, that they were nurtured in, and begin a life of their own in a nearby pond. Placental mammals are not the only ones that have live births.”

We both left the campground on good terms. We even exchange phone numbers.



Horride Revelations:

It was two weeks since we meet, when I get a call from that curiously dressed biologist, he wanted to know if I would like to come over to his place for a visit. Having nothing better to do that weekend, we decided that would be a good time for me to come over.

He lived in Winslow, on Bainbridge Island, right across the Puget Sound from Seattle. I drove the car the scenic route, down to Tacoma and then up the other side of the sound to Bremerton. I then took the road that went to the island. It was a nice relaxing drive but very long considering that I could have just taken the ferry over from Seattle instead. I eventually arrived at his little shack of a home, on the outskirts of Winslow. It was cool in the shade and damp, perfect newt weather, I thought, recalling what he had said the last time we had meet. I knocked at his door and he let me in. It was a small comfy place, with a large main room that was split into a living room and kitchen area and two bedrooms, he slept in one and the other one was his study.

Since it was dinner time for both of us, he offered to cook dinner for me. I have come to the opinion that no one can cook worse than I could, so it was an easy decision to make in allowing him to do the cooking. We had a spicy curried rice noodle dish with frog legs of all things.

“Is this how you get rid of the specimens once you have finished studying them?” I asked.

He laughed and said, “no, I get them from a nearby Vietnamese store just down the road a bit; although, I have been considering this method to get rid of a couple of lab students.”

We talked until it was very late in the night. When I looked at my watch, I noticed that I had somehow missed the last ferry that would take me back to Seattle. He told me not to fret over this and offered to let me sleep on the sofa that I was sitting on. I accepted the offer and stayed the night.

There is something about having to sleep in an unfamiliar place that puts me at an edge at first, it’s as if I am expecting something to be attacking me out of the darkness. I roamed his place, while he was asleep in his bedroom and ended up in his study. His library was extensive. Life on Earth and Sea, The Creation Myth, the Holy Bible, and The Encyclopedia of the Other Gods were some of the books he had. He somehow managed to have one of the ugliest of books I had ever seen, the Necronomicon. The cover of the book looked like it was made out of the facial skin of a screaming man but when I pick it up from the bookshelf, I noticed that it was just the woven pattern of the book’s cover, it did look convincing though.

“Can’t sleep yet?” someone said.

I almost had a heart attack then. I turned arround and noticed that my host was standing in the opened doorway. I said, holding up that ugly book that I had taken from the shelf, “No, not yet. I have to unwind a bit. Maybe I could read one of your books, like this one.”

He moved into the room, took the book that I was holding, sat down at his desk, put the book neatly on the desk’s top and motioned for me to sit down. He shook his head and said, “the only thing that this book will do for you, if you read it, is give you nightmares. How about a philosophical discussion instead?”

Once I sat down and got comfortable, he asked, “Do you believe in the Bible?”

I told him, point blank, “ if you are intersted in converting me or having a religious type of argument, you’re barking up the wrong tree.”

“No, I am not interested in your religious beliefs but in your philosophical point of view of it. I am particularly interested in what it says in the Bible about Mankind being created in God’s image and given sole dominion over the Earth and its undue feelings of superiority in God’s Creation as a result of this belief.”

“The only Origin Story I believe of is the story of man’s evolution from the other apes and the Bible should be taught as it was intended to be taught, as a guide to living, instead of as scientific fact. In my opinion, it is waste of time trying to foist it into the schools as science by describing it as original design. It still does not eliminate the fact that you have to have something in existence to create the universe, in which case, where did this being come from.”

He laughed at my outburst and said, “congratulations, you’re a fellow sceptic. What I really meant is whether you believe that Man is the only civilized creature that has evolved on this planet or not, as implied in the Bible.”

“That’s basically what I believe. Why?”

“Don’t you think that it is a shame that on this one small planet, the only one that we know of where life evolved, would only produce one species capable of developing civilization? That despite the Earth being billions of years old and capable of supporting life for more than 250 million years, that one animal alone, Man, should be considered the pinnacle being of this planet. What a preposterous notion!”

It was then that I noticed why he wore his clothes the way he did, showing the bare minimum. As he folded his hands under his chin, the sleeves of the robe he was wearing slid down to his elbows so that I could look at what he actually looked like. The skin of his hands and arms were glistening, as if coated with some sort of skin lotion and a mottled grey, in fact all of his skin was like that. I guessed that I did not notice it before because he had kept the lights down when we were talking earlier. What I found most disturbing of all was that he had horizontal slits along the neck that moved when he took a breath.

“What are you? Some sort of monster?” I asked.

He chuckled and cackled almost to the point if being out of breath. Once he had stopped laughing at my outburst he said, “no, it is Mankind, that is the monster here. Not us! We are of a race far older than the monkey men. While they were still swinging contently in their ancestral trees, our kind had dominion of the Earth. If it was not for an argument we made with the gods we worship, it would still be us who rule the world, not the unkept apes.

“For one million years, we have watched man destroy this once beautiful land, thinking that there would be nothing to pay for raping it. We are eagerly awaiting man’s last days, when man will revert to the animal it once was and we can reclaim the Earth as our own again!”

“STOP!!” I screamed, hoping that these horrid revelations not continue. “Why are you telling me this?”

He paused for a bit, as if considering how much more my sanity could take and continued.

“I have gone weary of observing these naked apes fiddle about and wish to return to the sea, to rejoin our people there. I am pleased that I have found my successor” he answered and he pointed with that pale gray right arm of his, to me!

“You can’t be serious,” I exlaimed, wishing for his last statement to be untrue but it was not the case.

He told me, “look around.”

After I did so, he asked, “do you feel comfortable here, even though it is so humid?”

I stared at him, open mouthed, at this question. “Yes, I do feel great here. For a long time now, I have been having problems breathing indoors, the air-conditioning units dry the air out too much and I have to run the humidifier at home to get my lungs back to normal.”

It then dawned on me, during his lecture on the folly of man, not once did he imply that I was one of the monkeys and said, “You mean that I really am one of you?”


“That’s exactly what I mean. Some of us, our species, are born in a form much like a human but after a time we revert to our true form and return to the sea. It is my time to change and you are going to continue to carry out my duties of observing the world that man has created.”

“Why are we even bothering to observe man in the first place?”

He then told me the story of a half-dead cat. I did not get all of the technical stuff he was trying to explain to me but this is roughly how he explained it to me.

Reality is a sequence of quantum states, one moment to the next, in an endless prosection. A physicist in the early 19th century postulated that there is a set of quantum states that are possible between each moment and the next and that the collapse from the set to a single possibility was what determined what happened from one moment to the next. This physicist, possibly named Schroedure, went as far as to state that the mere act of observing these possible state changes influenced the outcome of which one was chosen. The thought experiment that he came up with went like this, you take a cat and put him in a sealed box with something that would create an even chance of the cat dieing. After some moments time, is the cat dead or alive? The only way to determine this would be to open up the box and find out. The act of checking inside the box would determine which possibility it would be. He explained that this is the same effect he and others were using to force mankind to its extinction.

I slumpt in the chair I was sitting on, drained of emotion at what he had said and yawned.

“You should really try to get some rest now, we have a big day tomorrow,” he told me.

“What’s going to happen?”

“You’ll find out. For now, get some sleep.”

We both went back to our own beds and slept until dawn.


Ocean Migration:

The next day, chaos erupted.

It started out well, my host and I had breakfast together, I cooked this time, oatmeal with sugar is one of the things that I can cook. It was during Breakfast that we decided to drive out to La Push, so that he could await his final days on Earth near the ocean, before his transformation into a denizen of the ocean depths was complete.

It was when we left his home that things when horribly wrong. We had reach his car when he let out a painful gasp. It sounded literally like the sound of a fish out of water. I looked over to my companion and noticed that he was leaning on the car, trying desperately to breathe. I ran over to where he was and dragged him back into his home and laid him next to one of the humidifiers that he had left running.

After a while he recovered and his breathing became normal. “That didn’t go as planned,” I said. “Now what are we going to do?”

Once he had recovered enough to talk, he said, “I have waited too long to find you, someone to take over my duties here for me. Am I doomed to live out the rest of my days here and never be able to go to the sea?”

After taking a moment to look around at what we had available, I came up with a plan and I told him what it was, “My car is set up with a power converter so that I can plug in things and run them as if they were plugged into a wall outlet. We could just plug in one of these humidifiers in the car.”

“Great but I couldn’t even get to the car without collapsing. I don’t want to go through that again!”

“Didn’t you say that one of the keys to amphibians being able to living on land was that they kept the airways moist?”

“Yes.”

“Why don’t you get a towel and soak it with water, while I get a humidifier plugged into my car? When we are ready, just wrap the towel around your neck, like a prize fighter, and we’ll go for one more round.”

“It’s worth a try.”

With him bundled with a wet towel around his neck, we ran to my car and left his place. Since his transformation was pretty much complete by then, we decide to drive only as far as Neay Bay.

When we got there, he left the car and swam out to sea.


I’ll Be Seeing You:

As I write this final passage, the light of many computer monitors cast a ghostly glow about the room.

It has been years since I have taken up this remote, from our point of view, observation post, spying on the squabbling monkeys that I am charged to observe. In the time that I have been here doing this, the world has gone through the change in the way people communicate, making my efforts to sway them more easily.

Before now, our effect on them was minimal. It took so long for the information to get to us. We had to wait for scientific breakthroughs and supposed breaking news stories to be published in order for us to observe them. It is now much different, with high-speed Internet access to all of the web cams connected, we can witness things as they are happening. We even have the capability of turning on any cell phone on this planet to spy on them. In effect, we now control the fate of the entire World.

I now grow tired of their antics. In my dreams lately, I have had visions of people, my people, living under the sea, and wish to go to them.

Unlike my predasesor, I will not need to find a replacement. I have gained contol of one of the many spy satalites that they have put into orbit to spy on each other. It is ironic that we will be using it to spy on them too. We will be able to keep a watchful eye on the apemen.

Mankind has already doomed itself and we will not have to wait much longer for their end to come.

Soon, yes, very soon, we, the Deep Ones, shall return!
“Mankind’s reign upon the Earth shall come to an end.

The true masters of this world will rise up once more.

The Deep Ones!”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home